Traditional face-to-face interviews are being replaced with video and phone interviews – so we’ve put together some tips to help job seekers transition into the digital age.
We understand this can feel strange for some people, especially if you haven’t had a lot of experience using technology in this way before.
Here’s some Do’s and Don’ts tips for Video and Phone interviews.
(Click on the image to enlarge it)
Share this Image On Your Site
Please include attribution to https://etcltd.com.au/ with this graphic.
Here’s some more Video / Phone Interview Tips for job seekers
- Have a copy of your Resume handy so you can refer to it if needed
- Examine the Position Description and Resume/Cover Letter, and think about what type of questions they will ask you
- Prepare answers for the main questions – for example, why do you want the job, what are your strengths and weaknesses, what are the main tasks in this job? Here’s 10 interview questions and answers that will help you ace your interview!
- Don’t be arrogant and assume you’ve got the job. Nothing turns off employers more than someone who is disrespectful and over-confident
- If this is an industry you haven’t worked in before, be prepared to give examples of skills you have that can be transferred over. Here’s a helpful article on Transferring Skills to a new Industry
- Don’t discuss controversial topics such as religion, politics and gender relations
- Keep your answers focused on what you can do for the employer, not what they can do for you
- Don’t criticise former employers or colleagues. Interviewers may mark you down as a troublemaker and a gossip
- Don’t argue with the interviewer, no matter what. Remember to keep things positive!
Here’s a great article by Seek.Com on how video interviewing is changing the job application process. Check it out >
Want to have a practice session?
If you’re an ETC customer – contact your Jobs/Youth Advisor and they can arrange a mock interview with you over the phone or via video conference to help be prepared – 1800 007 400.
If you’re not linked with ETC, try practicing with your friends and family – Here’s 10 interview questions and answers to get you started!