Enquire 1800 007 400
Enquire Freecall 1800 007 400

Workers can undertake certificate level qualifications in community sector areas such as aged care or home and community care (HACC). This can be a good way to get a feel for the sector and job seekers with these qualifications typically gain employment as support workers and personal care workers. The ageing population and increasing need for skilled workers in disability support roles see these graduates in high demand.

Many community workers begin their career by undertaking a relevant diploma level qualification. The most common of these is the Diploma of Community Services Work which provides students with the knowledge and skills they need to work with a wide range of clients in a variety of settings.

However, this is not the only qualification which can prepare you for this career, other diploma courses focus on specific areas within the community services sector such as disability.

Diploma courses should involve a 400 hour fieldwork placement component which is the professional standard and which enables students to put their skills into practice through supervised field experience. It is for this reason that community work-related diplomas are not normally undertaken 100% online.

People with previous experience in the community sector may wish to explore gaining recognition of prior learning (RPL) through a course provider. RPL allows your skills, knowledge and experience to be counted towards a formal qualification.

Taken from

Australian Community Workers Association



Get one of our friendly staff to contact you today.

Enquire Today

Stay in The Know

Sign up for our newsletter to stay informed about the latest tips, trends and business insights from ETC – Enterprise & Training Company Ltd.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required