The NSW liquor laws mandate Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) training for the liquor industry. Responsible practices must be undertaken wherever alcohol is served and sold, including where alcohol samples are served during on-site product tastings. This unit applies to any workplace where alcohol is served and sold, including all types of hospitality venues, retail liquor outlets and wineries, breweries and distilleries.
This RSA unit applies to all levels of sales personnel involved in the sale, service and promotional service of alcohol in licenced premises. Those selling and serving alcohol may include:
- food and beverage attendants
- retail liquor salespersons
- winery, brewery and distillery cellar door staff
- supplier sales representatives.
It also applies to security staff who monitor customer behaviour and to the licensee who is ultimately responsible for RSA management.
Please note that Refresher courses for NSW RSA and RCG are to be completed online through the Liquor and Gaming Dept. ETC does not offer refresher courses for RSA and RCG. Competency cards are valid for 5 years.
The QLD liquor laws mandate Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) training for certain people involved in Queensland’s liquor industry. Responsible practices must be undertaken wherever alcohol is served and supplied. Licensees are responsible for ensuring that all staff that serve or supply alcohol have the appropriate certification.
The following people must complete RSA training within 30 days of starting employment and maintain a current RSA training course certificate during their employment:
- the licensee (if an individual), unless trained in RMLV (Responsible Management of Licensed Venues)
- any staff member of the licensed premises who is involved in the service or supply of liquor at the premises. This includes bartenders, glass collectors, floor staff and room service staff. It does not include people that are trained in RMLV, such as approved managers.
Please note that QLD RSA certificates do not expire. However, if you completed RSA training prior to 30 June 2013, your RSA certificate will expire 3 years from the date of issue.